Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wondering What I've Been up To?

I can't believe I haven't written a post since February! Since then I've been working on myself. I think I mentioned in a previous post that I have sinus problems and that an allergist said that my problems were caused by an allergy to my cat. I've refused to believe that since the day that I was told that by the doctor. After multiple sinus infections and horrible dry-mouth from antihistamines, I gave reflexology a try. The relief I felt from reflexology was amazing. When I filled out my intake form for my first visit I mentioned that I had sinus problems, so the reflexologist specifically worked on the area of my foot that corresponds to my sinuses. I saw her every two weeks for a while, but then her health declined and she passed away. Of course I could've gone and gotten reflexology from someone else there, but it's not something I could see myself doing.

Another winter came and I got another sinus infection. Despite the fact that I'm supposedly allergic to my cat, my sinus issues were exacerbated by the cold and also by extreme changes in the temperature. After another round of antibiotics I started taking the antihistamines and using the nasal spray again, but I thought to myself "There's gotta be a better way." As it so happens, one of my friends from the yoga studio that I attend and at which I used to work the front desk told me about the wonders of acupuncture. I must admit that I've always been interested in getting an acupuncture treatment. My friend referred me to her acupuncturist and I emailed her to set up an appointment.

When the day of my appointment rolled around I wasn't really sure what to expect. One thing I will say is that acupuncture is similar to psychotherapy in that it helps you to search for the root cause of your problem. My acupuncturist, Beata, asked me if I could remember when I initially started having problems. Many people who have sinus issues have had them for their whole lives, but mine actually started after things got really bad with my boyfriend (who is now my ex-boyfriend). I'm sure a lot of you have heard that physical ailments can be manifested by emotional or mental problems that we're having.

Anyway, once we pinpointed the beginning of my symptoms, we were able to name the feelings that caused the symptoms. Of course I got the needles and she also taught me some acupressure. In my next post I'll tell about the feelings I had bottled up, and how I let them go.

No comments:

Post a Comment